By default the misdemeanor charges were dropped because the Manhattan DA could not support the claims against Paris Wilson. Islan Nettles death is ruled a homicide and is an open investigation.
Luz’s Daughter Cares Suggestion:
(1) Witnesses MUST come forward!! The Friends of Islan Nettles who were with her that night need to speak up. LGBT organizations need to make sure they are protected if and when they do. Paris Wilson, his friends and family are NOT going to do the right thing. Period.
(2) LGBTQ community, groups and organizations – do not get weary! It is our responsibility to keep this case relevant and alive. Do not stop questioning and do not accept yet another unsolved Trans Person murder!
(3) Be united and not divided in the quest for Justice. The proof of such are in the numbers that come out and support or lack thereof. Trans People of the community deserve more from us all. At the end of the day, all humans are equal and all deserve equality. The umbrella that covers the LGBQ community often leaves our Trans Family out in the rain.
(4) You are not God. Judge not lest ye be judged! Live & Let Live…
- Islan “Rose” Nettles only one of many tragic deaths in 2013 (luzsdaughtercares.wordpress.com)
- Luz’s Daughter Cares Press Release “Occupy the Courthouse” Justice For Islan Nettles (luzsdaughtercares.wordpress.com)